13.3.13

Things I learnt while working in Landscape

I worked in a Landscape practise for two months last Summer and learnt these things in my first two weeks:

1. Like prison, the currency is not money.
Cups of tea, blue and green Staedtler markers and post-it notes are far more important bargaining tools than cash. If you washed up yesterday you’re quite within your rights to refuse to buy the milk.
2. CAD bargains like the devil.
Offset, break and spline are essential but remained elusive while I was at university. The price I pay for now knowing of these elusive bits of equipment is the snap box being permanently burned into the back of my eyes. CAD is a cruel mistress.
3. Referencing is for chumps.
You can stick photos of existing projects that you may as well have produced from your posterior and it’s fine because referencing isn’t a concept that enters the mind of Landscape Architects once they’re being paid. The angel on your shoulder during your degree (tutor) has vanished and you’re free to run amok on google.

- Originally posted to untroddenview.tumblr.com on 14.08.2012

No comments:

Post a Comment