22.3.13

ROOF TREES


I had an argument discussion with my Mother in a restaurant after my graduation last week (I’d had to give the Harry Potter robes and silly hat back so I felt disgruntled instead of swishy) about rural development. She challenged me to convince her that a few acres of new housing wouldn’t damage the visual, social and environmental qualities of the very rural area she lives in (so middle-of-nowhere, there’s cows on one side and horses on the other and it’s almost impossible to find the house at night in the deep, dark, absence of light pollution). Amongst my stream of sort-of-intelligent, impassioned defiance, was my point that small, single storey, low density housing with green roofs would still look like a field at first glance and an adorable hobbit community at second glance. Mother replied with an ‘agree to disagree’ expression, but I know she was secretly dreaming about a cabin with little trees on the roof and a vegetable patch and a pony and a pygmy goat herd…

- Originally posted to untroddenview.tumblr.com on 21/2/2013

No comments:

Post a Comment