25.6.13

Plant of the week: Lady's mantle

Lady's mantle (Alchemilla mollis) is a hardy herbaceous (dies down after growing season) perennial (pops up again every year) plant, native to southern Europe but grown in UK gardens, with fan shaped leaves and lime green flowers in summer. 

I planted Lady's mantle in my parents' garden when I was about 11 and the other day I spotted that it had spread wildly and was covered in water droplets and looked sort of cheerful and exotic. My font of all knowledge (Dad) couldn't remember what it was called but it's name was found after a bit of stealthy googling. Apparently most people find such an easy to grow and exclusively green plant a bit boring, but I'm quite fond of it, though 'Lady's mantle' seems a bit of a fluffy name for such a tough plant.

No comments:

Post a Comment